Strawberry & Basil Ice-Cream Loaf
For the basil ice-cream layer:
- 600 ml First Choice Vanilla Flavoured Dairy Dessert
- 125 ml water
- 80 ml castor sugar
- 250 ml basil leaves
- 10 meringues, crushed (optional)
For the strawberry ice-cream layer:
- 600 ml First Choice Strawberry Flavoured Dairy Dessert
- 150 g washed, chopped strawberries
- 100 ml First Choice Strawberry Dessert Topping
- 125 ml First Choice Strawberry Dessert Topping
- 200 g fresh strawberries fresh basil leaves extra meringues for garnish
For the basil ice-cream:
- Grease and line a medium sized loaf tin OR terrine tin with silicon baking paper.
- Place the water and castor sugar in a small saucepan and stir on medium heat to dissolve the sugar. Allow to simmer for 5 minutes and cool completely.
- Blend the sugar syrup and basil leaves with a stick blender to make a beautiful green basil syrup.
- Beat the vanilla Velvet until it starts to get light and fluffy. Add the basil syrup and beat for another minute to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and place it in the freezer. Remove after one hour and sprinkle the crushed meringues on top of the ice-cream. Use your fingers to secure them slightly into the ice-cream and return to the freezer to get frozen.
For the strawberry ice-cream:
- Combine the strawberries and the First Choice Strawberry Dessert topping and blend with a stick blender.
- Beat the Strawberry Velvet until it starts to get light and fluffy and add the strawberry mixture. Beat for another minute to combine.
- Spoon the mixture on top of the frozen basil ice-cream layer and freeze for a few hours or overnight.
- Remove the ice-cream loaf from the loaf tin, remove the paper and place it on a serving platter.
- Top with the strawberries, basil leaves and meringues and drizzle generously with the First Choice Strawberry Dessert Topping.