Crustless Custard Tart
Traditional Style ButterCustard
- 4 eggs, separated
- 100 g castor sugar
- 125 g First Choice Butter, melted
- 60 g cake flour
- 500 ml First Choice Custard
- 5 ml vanilla extract
- 1 lemon zest
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 170°C and grease and line a square cake tin (20 cm X 20 cm) very well with baking paper.
- Beat the egg yolks and half of the castor sugar with a whisk. Gradually whisk in the melted First Choice Butter and then the flour to make a smooth paste. Add the vanilla and lemon zest.
- Now gradually beat in the First Choice Custard - making sure that you have a smooth consistency.
- Beat the egg whites to the soft peak stage, add the rest of the castor sugar and beat until almost stiff.
- Gradually add the batter to the egg whites and fold in.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 20 minutes, then lower the heat to 150°C and bake for another 15 minutes until it is golden brown and set (it may take a bit longer – depending on your oven).
- Remove from the heat and cool completely.
- Cut into portions and dust with icing sugar.
TIP – This is a delicious dessert – served with more First Choice Custard and a scoop of ice cream.