Traditional Style ButterVacuum Sealed CheeseFetaLong Life Milk
For the Cheese Melt:
- 250 g bacon bits
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ green pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 2 tbsp First Choice Butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups First Choice Full Cream Milk
- 2 x250 g First Choice Baby Gouda (in flavour of your choice. This recipe used Chives & Onion)
- ½ First Choice Feta wheel
- salt and ground white pepper, to taste
For the garnish:
- 5 cherry tomatoes, diced
- ½ red onion, diced
- handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- In a little olive oil, fry bacon bits until brown and crispy.
- Remove from pan and place on a paper towel.
- Add the onion and green pepper to the pan and fry for 2 minutes before adding the garlic.
- Fry for another minute, remove from heat and set aside.
- Make a basic cheese sauce: In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the First Choice Butter.
- Add the flour and whisk to create a paste. Once smooth, start adding the milk 1/2 cup at a time, whisking continiously.
- Once all the milk has been added and the sauce is smooth, add one of the First Choice Baby Goudas (grated).
- Add a generous amount of salt and ground white pepper. Keep whisking until all the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth. Remove from heat.
- In an oven proof dish, layer half the bacon, half the onion mix, half the cheese sauce and half the second First Choice Baby Gouda (grated), then another layer of bacon, onion mix, cheese sauce and grated First Choice Gouda. Finish off with a layer of crumbled First Choice Feta.
- Bake in a preheated 190°C oven for 10 minutes, then grill for about 3 minutes to brown the top slightly.
- Remove from oven and garnish with tomato, red onion, coriander and chilli.
- Serve with an assortment of corn chips, crackers and bread. Enjoy!