Apple and Custard Danish
Traditional Style ButterCustardHoneyLong Life Milk
For the Custard Danish:
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 500 ml First Choice Vanilla Custard
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp First Choice Full Cream Milk
- ¼ cup First Choice Salted Butter
- 60 g granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp First Choice Orange Blossom Honey
- 215 g Granny Smith apples, (3 medium-sized apples)
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg + 2 tsp milk, (for egg wash)
For the Glaze:
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp First Choice Milk
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
For the apple filling:
- Peel, core and slice your apples, then toss with the lemon juice. Add the sugar then toss to combine evenly.
- In a large pan, melt the First Choice Salted Butter and First Choice Orange Blossom Honey over medium-high heat.
- Add the apples and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to simmer gently for about 4 minutes.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the apples softened about 8 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk 1 tablespoon of the cornflour with 1 tablespoon of First Choice Milk to create a roux.
- Add to the apple filling and mix gently until thickened. Set aside to cool completely.
For the custard filling:
- Add the First Choice Vanilla Custard to a microwave-safe bowl, heat on high for 2 minutes. In the meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together 2 tablespoons of cornflour and 1 tablespoon of First Choice Milk.
- Whisk the cornflour mixture into the custard until smooth and microwave at 2 minute intervals until thickened.
- Use your hands to lightly press cling wrap over the custard, so that it's touching the top of the custard and allow it to cool completely.
For the pastry:
- Unfold the thawed puff pastry and lay it flat onto a floured surface or sheet of baking paper. Using a sharp knife, cut off two corners of the dough and then two small triangles 3 inches apart from each other on the other end.
- Spread the custard filling down the length of the centre of the strip, followed by the apple filling. Using a sharp knife, cut 10 slanting strips 2 cm of each other along both sides. Fold strips over filling, alternating each side to resemble a twist or a braid. Fold the bottom end up to seal the filling inside.
- Whisk together the egg with 2 teaspoons of First Choice Milk and use a pastry brush to lightly brush the edges. This helps the edges turn golden brown once baked.
- Transfer the Danish to a cooling rack.
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, cardamom and First Choice Milk until it reaches a thin glue-like consistency. If it’s too thick, add a touch more liquid. If too thin, add a bit more sugar.
- Drizzle on top of the warm danish and enjoy!