Swedish Style Meatballs
Traditional Style ButterCream
- 30ml First Choice olive oil for frying
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 shallots, chopped and fried in a little olive oil (or small onions)
- 500g lean beef mince
- 60ml breadcrumbs, soaked in 40ml cold water
- 1 egg
- 15ml chopped parsley
- 15ml fresh oregano, chopped
- 20ml Dijon mustard or wholegrain mustard (or use 10ml of each)
- 5ml paprika
- 5ml lemon zest
- 5ml salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1ml ground nutmeg or to taste
- 30ml First Choice butter
- 20ml flour
- 300ml chicken stock
- 10ml wholegrain mustard
- 25ml Worcestershire sauce
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 15ml lemon juice
- 200ml First Choice cream
- Chopped parsley for serving
- Sauté the shallot until soft, season and remove from frying pan, set aside.
- Cook the mushrooms on high heat until all the liquid has evaporated. Season and set aside.
- TO MAKE THE MEATBALLS: Combine the mince, cooked onion, soaked breadcrumbs, egg, chopped parsley, oregano, paprika, mustard, nutmeg, lemon zest and the salt and pepper. Mix well together.
- Roll into small meatballs – make about 20 – 25.
- Heat the olive oil in the frying pan and cook the meatballs until browned on both sides. Remove and set aside.
- Add the butter to the same frying pan and heat. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and stir all the time until it starts to boil.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, the mustard, lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir in the cream and bring slowly to the boil.
- Return the meatballs and the mushrooms to the pan and coat in the creamy sauce. Simmer for ±3 mins until the meatballs are cooked through and the sauce is thickened.
- Sprinkle over some chopped parsley.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or pasta.