Maize Meal Hush Puppies
Full Cream AmasiTraditional Style Butter
- oil for deep-frying
- ¾ cup mielie meal
- ½ cup cake flour
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- salt for taste
- ½ cup First Choice Amasi
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp First Choice Unsalted Butter, melted and cooled
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- Heat about 6cm high oil in a large, deep cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven to 180°C.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the mielie meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and a good pinch of salt in a medium bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat in Amasi and eggs until combined, then stir in the melted butter and spring onions to make a thick batter.
- In two batches, drop the batter by the tablespoonful into the hot oil. Fry, turning once, until crisp and golden, about 3 minutes per batch. Drain on paper towels; season immediately with salt. You are ready to serve.