Fried Mac & Cheese Balls
Traditional Style ButterVacuum Sealed CheeseLong Life Milk
- 250 g macaroni pasta, cooked until very soft and drained
- 80 g First Choice Butter
- 80 ml cake flour
- 375 ml First Choice Milk
- 200 g First Choice Mature Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 150 g mozzarella cheese, grated
- 200 g bacon, crispy fried and chopped
- 30 ml English mustard
- 2,5 ml chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 60 ml First Choice Milk
- 100 g panko breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper to taste
- sunflower oil for frying
- kitchen paper for draining
- Melt the First Choice Butter in a small saucepan, add the flour and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and add all of the 375 ml First Choice Milk. Stir well and return to the heat.
- Stir frequently until the mixture is thick and starts to boil. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the sauce, cheeses, pasta, bacon, chives, mustard and chili and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer to a dish to cool at room temperature, cover and leave in the fridge overnight (or a few hours).
- Beat together the eggs and 60 ml First Choice Milk.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl.
- Scoop out large tablespoons of the chilled macaroni mixture and roll into balls (use a little cold water on your hands if needed to prevent sticking).
- Dip the balls into the egg and then into the panko crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or saucepan to 160°C and fry the balls until golden brown and crisp.
- Drain on the kitchen paper and garnish with chives.
TIP – use pretzel sticks as toothpicks and serve as a delicious snack.