First Choice Apple & Cherry Pancakes
Traditional Style ButterDessert ToppingsDouble Cream Yoghurt
- 3 apples (approx 500g), peeled and cut into small chunks
- 30 g brown sugar
- 25 g First Choice Butter
- 2.50 ml ground cinnamon
- 15 ml water
- 1 large egg
- 30 g castor sugar
- 25 g First Choice Butter, melted
- 5 ml vanilla essence
- 180 ml buttermilk
- 125 g flour
- 5 ml baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 apples, grated with skin on
- First Choice Butter, for frying
- First Choice Double Cream Plain Yoghurt, to serve
- First Choice Cherry Dessert Topping, to serve
- Start by making the stewed apple. Place the apple chunks, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and
water in a pot. Stir over medium heat to melt the butter and sugar.
- Simmer gently for 12 minutes, stirring regularly, until the apple has softened and the syrup has reduced. Set aside.
- To make the pancake batter: whisk the egg and castor sugar together by hand. Add the butter,
vanilla essence and buttermilk and whisk together.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into the bowl and stir together. Squeeze and discard any
excess liquid from the grated apple and fold into the batter.
- Melt a teaspoon of butter in a pan. Use a 50ml scoop to pour pancake batter into the pan (cook 2-3
at a time).
- Cook the pancakes until set on top and starting to bubble. Flip over and fry until golden
on the other side.
- Keep in a warm place while you cook the remaining pancakes. Add more butter to the pan as needed.
- Top the pancakes with plain yoghurt, stewed apple, and a generous drizzle of First Choice Cherry
Dessert Topping before serving. (Note: this recipe is also delicious with the First Choice Caramel Dessert Topping.)