Chicken Mushroom and Cheese Galette
Traditional Style ButterFetaGrated Cheese
For the pastry:
- 210g (375ml) cake flour
- 2,5ml salt
- 125g cold First Choice Butter
- 60ml cold water mixed with 1 egg yolk
For the filling:
- 30g First Choice Butter
- 15ml olive oil
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 400g chicken fillets, cut into cubes
- chopped fresh thyme to taste
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 45ml sun-dried tomato pesto
- 160g First Choice Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 80g First Choice Feta, crumbled
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- fresh thyme for serving
- salt and black pepper
- egg wash for brushing
- Place the flour, salt and cold butter in a food processor and pulse to rub in the butter into the flour.
- Add most of the water/egg liquid and pulse until the pastry comes together in a ball.
- Remove from the food processor and wrap in clingwrap. Rest the pastry for 30 minutes in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a frying pan over high heat and add the chicken. Cook for a few minutes until done. Add some chopped thyme and season. Remove from the frying pan and keep aside to cool.
- Add the mushrooms and crushed garlic to the frying pan and cook until lightly browned. Season and cool.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to a 30cm circle. Transfer the pastry to baking paper and spread with the pesto – start about 3 cm from the edges.
- Top the pesto with the grated cheese, followed by the cooked chicken, mushrooms, spring onion and the feta.
- Fold the pastry edges up and over the filling to create a 3 cm border. Brush the pastry with the egg wash and transfer the galette to the baking tray on the baking paper.
- Bake for ±30 minutes.
- Cool a few minutes and place on a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with some fresh herbs and serve.