Cheat’s Mirror Glaze Mousse Cakes
CreamLong Life MilkVelvet
For the Velvet Mousse:
- 2 tsp gelatine powder
- 80 ml First Choice Milk
- 400 ml First Choice Vanilla or Butterscotch Velvet, well-chilled
For the Mirror glaze:
- 300 g brown sugar
- 300 ml water
- 40 ml cornflour in 80ml water
- 300 g First Choice Long Life Cream
- 60 ml gelatine dissolved in 120ml water
- 10 digestive biscuits
- 100 g finely chopped pistachios, to decorate
For the mousse:
- Sprinkle the 2 tsp gelatine powder over the cream and allow it to absorb.
- Heat the milk gently in the microwave until the gelatine is melted. Allow to cool.
- Whip the First Choice Velvet with a stand mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the cooled milk-gelatine mixture. Spoon the mousse into 10 silicone dome
moulds (alternatively, you can use a silicone muffin tray). Reserve the leftover mousse
(we’ll use this to seal the filling inside later). Freeze.
For the glaze:
- Place the sugar in a saucepan and slowly let it melt and caramelize. Once dark brown,
add the water and whisk. Mix the cornflour and water and add to the butterscotch while
- Remove from heat. Measure out 120ml of sauce and set it aside. To the rest of the
sauce, add the cream and soaked gelatine. Strain and set aside to cool to 27 degrees
- Remove the semi-frozen mousse from the freezer after 1 hour and use a teaspoon
measure to scoop out a cavity in the middle of each mousse. Then fill the cavity with the
reserved liquid butterscotch sauce. Top with the remaining mousse and a digestive
biscuit and freeze until solid - about 2 hours.
- Unmould the frozen domes and place them on a cooling rack with a baking sheet
underneath. Once the mirror glaze has cooled to 27 degrees Celsius, pour it over the
frozen domes to cover each one completely.
- Carefully remove the domes from the rack and using your hands gently press the finely chopped pistachios around the edges.
- Allow to defrost at room temperature before serving.