Apple and Custard Samoosas
Traditional Style ButterCustard
1 hr 10 mins
- 1.5 kg apples
- 15 ml First Choice Butter
- 30 ml brown sugar
- 5 ml ground cinnamon
- 250 ml First Choice Custard
- 1 box phyllo pastry
- 1 egg
- sugar & ground cinnamon for dusting
- First Choice Butter for brushing
- Peel, core and chop apples into small even pieces. Place in pot and stew apples with First Choice Butter, brown sugar and cinnamon for approximately twenty minutes, or until the apples have cooked through. Strain the apples and boil the liquid for about ten minutes, or until it reduces to a syrup, then mix together with the apples again. Set aside and allow to cool. Mix together with First Choice Custard.
- Gently brush a sheet of phyllo pastry (350mm x 400mm) with melted First Choice Butter and lay another sheet of phyllo pastry on top. Cut the pastry into 4 even strips, each 350mm x 100mm. Spoon the cooled apple and custard mixture towards one corner of the pastry strip and brush the remaining pastry with melted butter. Fold the corner of the phyllo over to enclose the filling and form a triangle, keep folding overworking your way down the pastry strip until you have completed the triangle, and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Repeat this process until you have used up all the filling.
- Lightly beat the egg and brush it over the tops of the samoosas and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 160˚C for 15-20 minutes, until crisp and golden.
- Remove from the oven and dust with a little cinnamon.
- Serve warm with extra First Choice Custard.