Amasi Onion Rings
Full Cream Amasi
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 chillies
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp brown vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 4 egg yolks
- 350 ml First Choice Olive Oil
- pinch of salt
- 500 ml First Choice Amasi
- 1 tsp thyme
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 300 g cake flour
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 onions oil for deep frying
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C. Wrap the chillies and garlic separately in aluminium foil and place in the oven.
- Remove the chillies after 15 minutes and the garlic after 30 minutes.
- Cut the chillies in half, remove the seeds and skin and chop well, this should give you half a teaspoon of roast chillies.
- Remove the skin from the garlic and smooth out on a board with the side of a large knife, this should give you one teaspoon of roast garlic paste.
- Place the roast garlic and chilli in a bowl with the mustard powder, brown vinegar and honey and mix together to form a paste.
- Add the egg yolks and beat together. Pour the First Choice Olive Oil into the egg mixture in a slow and steady stream while continually beating until all the oil has combined and the mayo is thick.
- Add a pinch of salt and stir in well. Place in a sealed container and keep in the fridge.
- Place oil in a pot and bring up to 180˚C. Peel and slice the onions into rings approximately 1cm thick, separate the rings and place on a paper towel to dry.
- Pour the First Choice Amasi in a bowl and add the thyme and chilli powder, mix together well. Sift the flour and smoked paprika into a separate bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the onion rings in the First Choice Amasi then remove and then coat them in the flour mix. Carefully place three to four at a time in the hot oil for a few minutes on each side until golden and crispy.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Enjoy with a generous dunking of sweet chilli mayo.